SECTORAL COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT (SCSD)/COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL PROTECTION (CSP)
Terms of Reference
The Sectoral Committee on Social Development is one of the four committees comprising the Regional Development Council. It is mandated to coordinate and promote social development and review/evaluate major development issues and concerns of the CALABARZON region.
The Sub-Committee on Social Protection (SCSP) was created by the National Social Development Committee (SDC) of the NEDA Board in 2009 which functions include the development of a five-year Social Protection plan and recommend to SDC policies and strategies to operationalize the SP plan.
Given that the SCSD and national SCSP have similar functions and composition, the SCSD during its fourth quarter meeting recommended that the SCSD shall serve as the SCSP for CALABARZON instead of creating a new committee. The committee passed a resolution designating the SCSD as the inter-agency committee for social protection in the region. The RDC approved the proposal through RDC Resolution No IV-A-55-2014 with the inclusion of agencies and government owned and controlled corporations (GOCC) critical in promoting social protection in the current list of SCSD members.
To ensure that SP concerns are tackled adequately, TWG meetings maybe convened whenever necessary.
The SCSD has the following functions:
- Conduct policy studies directed and identifying relevant factors and assumptions which has an impact/bearing on the formulation of social development plans and policies and the identification and preparation of programs and projects;
- Formulate the social sector and social protection development plan, programs, policies, priorities and thrusts for consideration of the RDC;
- Integrate social development and protection plans and programs of local government units in the regional/social development plan and coordinate social sector for the social development activities in the region;
- Assist the RDC in the translation of national and regional social development and protection goals and policies into specific objectives and targets for the social development plan of the region.
- Assess and update regularly the social development and protection plans, programs, policies and guidelines as may be requires by the RDC;
- Recommended to relevant government agencies, LGUs NGOs and other private entities, policies and measures as may be required to effectively achieve the objectives enunciated in the regional social development and protection plan;
- Coordinate for the RDC all social development planning, investment programming, budgeting, project development, research and statistical coordination activities in the region of national government agencies, local government unites and private entities;
- Assist the RDC in the periodic preparation of performance/accomplishment reports on the social development sector for submission to NEDA and the Office of the President;
- Provide technical support and assistance to national, regional and local governments and private entities in the region on matters relating to social development and protection;
- Identify and develop integrated social development and protection programs and projects and assist in the conduct of pre-feasibility and/or feasibility studies thereon;
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate proposed on-going social development and protection programs, projects and activities in the region;
- Elicit public participation in social development and protection planning and maintain liaison with the regional line agencies, local government units, non-government organizations, volunteer organizations and other private entities in the region;
- Spearhead the conduct of budget hearing of key regional line agencies through concerned regional development bodies and provide technical support to the various SCSD subcommittees; and
- Perform other related functions as may be assigned by the RDC Chairperson, Co-Chairperson and Vice Chairman.
- Commission on Higher Education
- Commission on Population
- Department of Agrarian Reform
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Education
- Department of Health
- Department of Interior and Local Government
- Department of Labor and Employment
- Department of Social Welfare and Development
- Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
- National Commission on Indigenous Peoples
- National Economic and Development Authority
- National Nutrition Council
- National Youth Council
- Parole and Probation Authority
- Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor
- Technical Education and Skills Development Authority
- Government Service Insurance System
- Social Security System
- Philippine Health Insurance System
- Home Development Mutual Fund
- Batangas State University
- Cavite State University
- Laguna State Polytechnic University
- Southern Luzon State University
- University of Rizal System
- ¼ of the Committee membership from the Sector Representatives.
IV. SUBCOMMITTEES OF THE SCSD
- Created by separate laws (Republic Act, PD, Executive/Administrative Orders)
- Regional Inter-agency Committee on Environmental Health (RIACEH0
- Regional Sub-Committee on Nutrition (RSCN)
- Regional Inter-Agency Committee for the Philippine Plan of Action Senior Citizens (RIAC-PPASC) (formerly Regional Inter-Agency Committee on the Elderly)
- Regional Council on Disability Affairs (RCDA) (formerly Regional Committee for the Welfare of Disabled Persons)
- Regional Coordinating and Monitoring Board (RCMB)
- Regional Technical Education and Skills Development Committee (RTESDC)
- Created thru RDC Resolution
- Regional Sub-Committee for the Welfare of Children (RSCWC)
- Regional Sub-Committee on shelter and Urban Development (RSCSUD)
- Regional Sub-Committee on GAD
- Regional Sub-Committee on Informal Sector
- Regional Inter Agency Committee for the Philippine Plan of Action for the Filipino Families (RIAC-PPFF)
- Regional Inter agency Committee Against Trafficking and Violence Against Women and Children (RIACAT-VAWC)
V. Officers and Election
The officers of the Committee are the Chairman, Co-Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary. At least one of the official Chairmen shall come from the private sector. The NEDA as Secretariat of the RDC shall be designated as Vice-Chairman.
The selection of the Chairman and Co-Chairman shall be done in a manner that has to be decided and agreed upon all members of the Committee.
VI. Terms of Office
The term of office of the Chairman and Co-Chairman shall be co-terminus with the term of the RDC Chairman without prejudice for re-election.
VII. Meetings and Quorum
The Committee shall hold regular meetings at least once every quarter the schedule of which shall be decided by the Body. Agenda of the meeting for the 2nd and 4th quarter meeting will be focused on social protection.
The presence in a meeting of fifty percent plus one of the total members shall constitute a quorum. In the absence of a quorum, the Committee members present may discuss the items in the agenda and make recommendations thereon to the Council in the next meeting.
VIII. Decision of the Committee
The decision of the Committee shall only be recommendatory in nature and shall be in the form of a resolution addressed to the ExCom/RDC Full Council.
IX. Other Standard Operating Procedures
- Communications – communications such as notice of meeting, minutes of meetings, among other, shall be sent through official e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Of necessary, follow-up text message will be sent by the Secretariat through the official telephone number (049-5760150).
- Notice of meeting shall be sent to members at least two weeks before the meeting. Members are expected to confirm their attendance through e-mail or fax using the confirmation slip.
- Minutes of precious meetings and matters arising from the minutes of the previous meeting shall be sent to members at least one week before the actual conduct of the meeting. The member should submit their comments at least three days before the meeting. On the matters arising from the minutes of the previous meeting, members are requested to keep track of their concerns and are expected to submit to the Secretariat the status/update prior to the meeting. If update is not submitted to the Secretariat before the meeting, the members are expected to give update during the meeting. In case of change in agency representative it shall be the responsibility of the agency to orient the new representative on the previous discussion/agreements.
- Attendance of the principal members are requires in all Committee meetings. In the event that the principal could not personally attend, he/she may designated an alternate representative in writing addressed to the Chairman through the Committee Secretary.
- Monitoring of Attendance – Attendance to regular and emergency meetings will be strictly monitored by the SCSD Secretariat and the attendance record will be included in the agenda of the last quarter meeting for the reference/information. If a member from the RLA or SUCs has been observed to be habitually absent in the Committee meetings the Chairman will report the matter to the concerned agency/institution head for appropriate action. For PSRs, habitual absenteeism may lead to termination of membership to the Committee. It must be emphasized the PSRs cannot be Represented.