Terms of Reference
As of July 2018
Considering the mismatch of the skills produced by the higher education learning institutions with the needs of the industry, the Education Commission in 1991 proposed the strengthening of academe and industry linkage. Various reforms in the education sector, such as the trifocalization of the educational system and adoption of education schemes that promotes collaboration between the academic institutions, have been undertaken.
The expansion of the apprenticeship program, popularization of the dual-technology approach and the utilization of research as basis for curriculum development were among the strategies used to strengthen the academe and industry linkage.
The passage of Republic Act No. 10533 which provides for the implementation of the K to 12 program provides a window of opportunity for the academe and industry in the region to reinvigorate the partnership. As such, the Regional Development Council through RDC Resolution No. IV-A-43-2015 created the Special Committee on Strengthening Academe-Industry Linkages (SCS A-IL) to orchestrate the creation of partnerships of the academe and industries. The RDC also created the Ad Hoc Committee on K to 12, reorganized to Regional Committee on Quality Education for All (RCQEFA), to harmonize the conflicting policies from the basic, technical-vocational and training and higher education as well as related concerns such as sports development and culture.
Three years since the establishment of the SCS A-IL, the Committee conducted Academe-Industry Summit (2016) and Jobseekers Summit (2017). The Committee also adopted a manifesto and call to action, many of which concerns the education sector.
- To propose policies and mechanisms on strengthening industry-academe linkages
- To organize continuing dialogue between the academe and the industry;
- To facilitate partnership building between the academe and industry; and
- To monitor the implementation of established partnerships.
Chairperson : Academe or Industry member
Co-Chairperson : Academe or Industry member
Vice-Chairperson : The Director, National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)
Members: Regional Line Agencies (10)
- Cavite Export Processing Zone
- Commission on Higher Education
- Department of Education
- Department of Interior and Local Government Department of Labor and Employment
- Department of Tourism
- Department of Trade and Industry
- National Economic and Development Authority
- Philippine Information Agency
- Technical Education and Skills Development Authority
- University of the Philippines Los Baños
- Cavite State University
- Laguna State Polytechnic University
- Batangas State University
- University of Rizal System
- Southern Luzon State University
- De La Salle University – Dasmariñas
- Lyceum of the Philippines – Laguna
- University of Batangas – Batangas City
- Manuel S. Enverga University Foundation – Lucena City
- Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities
- Regional Technical Vocational Educators Association, Inc.
- Association of Petrochemical Manufacturers of the Philippines
- Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, Inc
- IT and Business Process Association of the Philippines
- Motorcentral Sales Corporation
- Semiconductor and Electronics Industries in the Philippines Foundation, Inc.
- Yazaki-Torres Manufacturing Incorporated
- Private Sector Representatives (PSR) (2)
- Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Cavite Technical Vocational Educators Association, Inc.
Special Non-voting members (4)
- Laguna Technical Vocational Educators Association, Inc.
- Batangas Technical Vocational Educators Association, Inc.
- Rizal Technical Vocational School Association
- Quezon Technical Vocational Educators Association, Inc.
Secretariat : NEDA
The Committee adopts an open and inclusive policy with regard to the composition. As such, interested parties may be nominated by the members subject to the approval of the body during a regular meeting or through a referendum.
IV. Officers and Terms of Office
The officers of the Committee are the Chairperson, Co-Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Secretary. The Committee shall have 1 Chairperson either from the academe or industry and 1 Co-Chairperson from academe or industry, whichever is the alternate sector of the elected Chairperson (i.e., Industry Chairperson, academe Co-Chairperson and vice versa). The Chairperson and Co-Chairpersons will be elected by members of the Committee and shall have a term of 3 years.
The NEDA as the Secretariat of the RDC shall be designated as Vice-Chairperson and shall also serve as the Secretariat of the Committee.
V. Meetings and Quorum
The Committee shall hold at least one meeting1 every semester. The presence in a meeting of fifty percent plus one of the total members shall constitute a quorum. Members who incurred three consecutive absences will be dropped from the roll or will not be considered in determining the quorum.
In the absence of a quorum, the Committee members present may discuss the items in the agenda and make recommendations thereon in the next Committee meeting.
VI. Decision of the Committee
The decision of the Committee shall only be recommendatory in nature and shall be in the form of a resolution addressed to the Sectoral Committee on Social Development/Social Protection then to the RDC Full Council or Executive Committee.
The members of the Committee – academe, government, and industry, shall take turns in hosting the meetings.